10 January 2013

Time does fly

Wow. I can't believe it is a year since my last post. That's not very impressive is it! Barely a blog at all. Ah well, as with all things in life time flies by and for me blogging will always be a bit of fun.

So what have we been up to in the last year?! My knee jerk response is - not much. But actually I expect there have been loads of little projects if I think about it.

The epic battle with Thames water when the pipe under the house sprung a leak and we needed a replacement connection that took 3 months to get sorted. The idea of a house being split in two really really confused them. (Actually still not fully resolved - Leak was in April)

The formal house split which is now all legal and sorted. That was also a fairly mammoth project including new morgages, council tax, (recycling bins- finally!) Insurance, parking arrangements and a heap of plans from the architect.

The new wall blocking the doorway in the dining room and the accompanying loft and bathroom works to meet the sound regulations - and concurrent decorating.
Finally blocked off

We re-decorated the spare bedroom which we now let out to lodgers to help fund the works.



Before (previous owners)



After
We have floored the room above the Livingroom that is to be the master bedroom and have had the windows replaced and sandblasted the feature wall to expose the amazing stonework from 1888.




We have also finally managed to order and have now got the roof-lights ready for installation (From an ace company who are local to us). We cut the number of roof-lights so that we could buy some really beautiful clean lined ones for just over budget but as that room is vaulted ceiling I think they are going to really make the the room.




We have also bought a chandelier for the room- which I LOVE but which is waiting on the roof-light installation, then the insulation and then the ceiling before we can hang it. (It was an ex-display bargain so I couldn't help myself)


















So as the new year starts we are just getting a push on all those niggly little jobs that have driven me mad over Christmas while I was at home.

Just last night we completed  a little tiling project behind the fireplace in the office which I am very pleased with (considering that I am no expert tiler!)






















 The plaster behind the fire (which used to be an old doorway) was coming away due to the heat from our amazing Town and Country Ryedale stove. But our new rough slate tiles will protect the stone work nicely and take the heat.


This coming week we are finally replacing the Dining room carpet (which I loathed on sight the first time I ever walked round the house!!). See image above of blocking the door.

And we have an electrician coming to sort out the electrical split between the 2 houses - no more seeing my parents have left the telly on again and quickly working out how much that is costing me (although to be fair they paid for all the times I left the TV on as a teen so I probably still owe them thousands!)

Its nice to be getting the house bits moving again but is a constant ever expanding to-do list which can wear you down. Last year seemed to be lots of jobs that you spend a fortune on but don't visually see a lot for your money. This year the changes should be a lot more decorative which I think will keep me going.

Well now you are up to date - I don't think it will be a year until my next post but just in case it is.... Happy 2014!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah! Another post from my favourite blogger. ;-)

    I can't wait to see that chandelier in place it's going to be STUNNING!

    Sarahxxxxx

    ReplyDelete