30 January 2012

Ikea Hack

Hello ,
For todays post I thought it was about time I revisited the livingroom for a few more details on how we put that room together.

One of the most satisfying projects for me was an Ikea/ eBay bargain that I transformed in to our TV cabinet.

We have a rather complicated TV setup with a computer instead of a tv freview sky whatever box. As such it is larger and uglier (my husband will baulk when he reads that!). Whilst I love the freedom this gives us to record tv for free and to have the x box connected to the tv and to browse the internet from in there too I hate the cables and wires associated.

So I wanted a cupboard that wouldn't show all these bits. The budget £35.00.  It also had to fit nicely in the alcove that was already designated for the Tv , and be deep enough for the pc.

So I came up with this


An Ikea Leksvic tv Cabinet £129.99 - second hand on Ebay for £30 and about 5 miles from here for collection. Its deeper than it looks and the proportions were spot on.

Whilst I loved the glass doors the whole point of having doors on it was to hide the junk inside. Plenty of images like this lurking on the net which showed me what it would become with the doors as glass.



So On went the paint and I cut and stapled 2 rectangles of fabric that I have had for at least 7 years waiting for me to do somthing with it!



A simple transformation really. All I did then was replace the handles with some new brass ones from Relics of Witney - my fantastic local hardware store.


Still plenty of cables sticking out the back to the subwoofer - Still waiting to get that inside the cupboard too - Hubby is going to cut away some of the base shelf so that it stands on the floor. We also took the back off the cuboard so that the cables from the tv can get in there easily.







Thats it for now. Off to serve up dinner.

Happy Monday xx

No comments:

Post a Comment